Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Can't label second tape

2008-06-16 08:56:12
Subject: [Bacula-users] Can't label second tape
From: "Andreas Vogler" <av AT geneon DOT de>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:56:50 +0200
Hi,

i'm having trouble labeling volumes. I'm using bacula 2.4.0 on a Linux
2.6.4 kernel with a Sony AIT2 tape drive.

I created a pool for the full backup tapes, labeled the first tape
(Full_EO_FI_0001) and startet a test job. The job is bigger than one
tape so bacula correctly detects when the tape is full and asks to mount
the next tape (Full_EO_FI_0002) or label a new one. So far everything
seems to work correct.

Now what I do is unmount the full tape and insert an empty tape then
call "label" from the console. I enter the name (Full_EO_FI_0002) and
assign the pool and after showing a message saying the tape will be
labeled the console seems to hang.

If I open a new console to check the status of the storage daemon I get
following:

----------------------------------
Running Jobs:
Writing: Full Backup job FI JobId=13 Volume="Full_EO_FI_0002"
    pool="Full_EO_FI" device="SonyAIT2" (/dev/nst0)
    spooling=0 despooling=0 despool_wait=0
    Files=448,254 Bytes=119,133,072,111 Bytes/sec=1,740,973
    FDReadSeqNo=5,586,136 in_msg=4306477 out_msg=5 fd=6 ==== [...]
Device status:
Device "FileStorage" (/mnt/tmpspace/backup) is not open.
Device "SonyAIT2" (/dev/nst0) is mounted with:
    Volume:      Full_EO_FI_0002
    Pool:        Full_EO_FI
    Media type:  AIT2
    Device is blocked labeling a Volume.
    Total Bytes Read=64,512 Blocks Read=1 Bytes/block=64,512
    Positioned at File=0 Block=1
====

In Use Volume status:
----------------------------------

The odd thing is, the status message stops at the line "In Use Volume
status:" and the console is stuck (no prompt).

I tried to exclude hardware problems by testing with btape, it ran the
tests without any errors.

The pool definition looks like this:

Pool {
  Name = Full_EO_FI
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Storage = Tape
  Volume Retention = 13 days
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 3
  Label Format = Full_EO_FI_
}

The storage daemon has this device:

Device {
  Name = SonyAIT2
  Archive Device = /dev/nst0
  Device Type = Tape
  Media Type = AIT2
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
  Removable media = yes
  Random access = no
}

Any I idea what went wrong?