Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup speeds LTO2

2008-06-02 09:15:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup speeds LTO2
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Alan Brown" <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:15:28 -0400
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, John Drescher wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Tobias Bartel <tbartel AT eteleon DOT de>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello List,
>> >
>> > i have quick question about backups to LTO2 tapes and speeds there of.
>> >
>> > Last Saturday I did a test job, about 800GB directly to a LTO2 tape but
>> > after
>> > 35h i had to cancel the job. Is it normal for such a job to take that long
>> > and
>>
>> This is not normal. 800 GB should be finished in less than 10 hours.
>
> You are assuming spooling direct to tape and a fast array.
>
> I would expect 20-22 hours for 800Gb to LTO2 via a spool disk.

On my network I write an LTO2 tape in less than 4 hours so I was
assuming the job would take 2.5 tapes at max. Also, I have done a 6
tape 2TB backup from the director machine over my gigabit network to
the storage in less than 1 day. But I do have more computing power
setup for that than the OP. My director is a dual processor 2GHz
Opteron machine with 4GB of memory and the storage is also a 2
processor Opteron machine with 4GB of ram and both machines have
software raid setups that will do over 150MB/s STR.

John

John