Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup speeds LTO2

2008-06-02 07:19:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup speeds LTO2
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Tobias Bartel" <tbartel AT eteleon DOT de>, baculausers <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:19:07 -0400
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Tobias Bartel <tbartel AT eteleon DOT de> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i have quick question about backups to LTO2 tapes and speeds there of.
>
> Last Saturday I did a test job, about 800GB directly to a LTO2 tape but after
> 35h i had to cancel the job. Is it normal for such a job to take that long and

This is not normal. 800 GB should be finished in less than 10 hours.

> if so, is there anything i can do in order to speed things up?

There are a few things you can do but you have to identify what is
causing the slowness. It can be the database. It can be a slow network
it can be the disk array. It can be a slow server. How many files do
you have on the source array? Is this a raid array and not a single
disk? Is your filesystem highly fragmented? Is the database on the
source array? Is this the same machine as the tape drive? If not do
you have a gigabit network between the client and storage? Is the
server 2GHz or better? Does it have at least 1GB of memory? Are you
using bacula 2.2 or better?

> Here are the relevant parts of the configuration:
>> Job {
>>   Name = "Emu-Full-Tape"
>>   Client = "Emu"
>>   Fileset = "Emu-Fileset"
>>   JobDefs = "WeeklyDef-Full-Tape"
>>   Schedule = "WeeklyCycle-Full-Test"
>>   SpoolData = no
>> }
>
>> JobDefs {
>>   Name = "WeeklyDef-Full-Tape"
>>   Type = Backup
>>   Level = Full
>>   Schedule = "WeeklyCycle-Full"
>>   Storage = Tape
>>   Messages = Daemon
>>   Pool =  Full-Pool-Tape
>>   Priority = 10
>> }
>
>> Schedule{
>>   Name = "WeeklyCycle-Full-Test"
>>   Run = Level=Full Sat at 22:00
>> }
>
> And here what Bacula wrote me afterwards:
>>   JobId:                  27
>>   Job:                    Emu-Full-Tape.2008-05-31_22.00.00
>>   Backup Level:           Full
>>   Client:                 "Emu" i486-pc-linux-gnu,debian,4.0
>>   FileSet:                "Emu-Fileset" 2008-05-31 22:00:02
>>   Pool:                   "Full-Pool-Tape"
>>   Storage:                "Tape"
>>   Scheduled time:         31-May-2008 22:00:00
>>   Start time:             31-May-2008 22:00:03
>>   End time:               02-Jun-2008 08:57:59
>>   Elapsed time:           1 day 10 hours 57 mins 56 secs
>>   FD Files Written:       0
>>   SD Files Written:       0
>>   FD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
>>   SD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
>>   Rate:                   0.0 KB/s
>>   Software Compression:   None
>>   Volume name(s):         Tapes-0005|Tapes-0006|Tapes-0007
>>   Volume Session Id:      9
>>   Volume Session Time:    1211957383
>>   Last Volume Bytes:      21,354,473,764 (21.35 GB)
>>   Non-fatal FD errors:    0
>>   SD Errors:              0
>>   FD termination status:  Error
>>   SD termination status:  Error
>>   Termination:            Backup Canceled
>

> I intentionally disabled spooling as i do not have the necessary disc space on
> the storage daemon to do it and cause i assumed that it would not have a big

All you need is a few GB. I use a 2 to 5GB spool file.

> impact on the performance of a full backup.

John