BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devs

2017-07-21 10:38:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devs
From: Ray Frush <frush AT rams.colostate DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 08:38:11 -0600
Les-

Putting the Mac vs (anything else) argument aside, as it detracts from the discussion,  I would like to add that even low end NAS devices like the QNAP offer filesystem snapshots that are, for the purposes of a home office or small business seamless.   At $WORK, I've used NetApp, EMC Isilon, and IBM's Storewise V7000 Unified storage, which all do a nice job of snapshots, and we've never experienced issues with overhead during the snapshot process.   Point is, there are a lot of options out there, including using modern file system features.

--
Ray Frush
Colorado State University.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 8:27 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Bzzzz <lazyvirus AT gmx DOT com> wrote:

> @GW Haywood: this would be limited to executive people that usually know
> what they're doing and are the only ones that are working on not-to-lose
> docs ie: big spreadsheets  - the idea is to entirely pull off any admin
> from the restoration process, which isn't the case w/ snapshots.

The quick fix here is to use a Mac with an external or network drive
for time machine.  If you aren't familiar with it, it does exactly
what you suggested with easy access for the user and filesystem tricks
for efficiency.  For a more enterprise flavor, NetApp fileservers have
done filesystem snapshots at configurable intervals into hidden but
accessible directories for decades now with next to no overhead, again
with filesystem tricks.  (But their patents are probably what has kept
everyone else from doing it well for so long...).

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.