BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devs

2017-07-20 10:18:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devs
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:17:29 -0500
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Bzzzz <lazyvirus AT gmx DOT com> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 10:26:18 +0200
> Daniel Berteaud <daniel AT firewall-services DOT com> wrote:
>
>> I think this is out of BackupPC's scope
>
> Please develop, don't drop me dry, why is that?
> Why adding a kinda-Xtiple-fugitive-daily-snapshots of only touched files
> is out of the BPC's scope ? On the other hand, I see this as the missing
> complement to get a professional ubiquitous backup system.

You can set the schedule to run as often as you like, but the
underlying tools are going to have to traverse the whole directory
tree to find the touched files, which you probably don't want to
happen while you are working.   Apple makes their time machine work
efficiently by using their own file system that propagates timestamp
changes up the directory tree so it can ignore whole inactive
branches.  The easy way to get this facility is to do your work on a
Mac.