BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devsm

2017-07-21 13:19:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devsm
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:18:42 -0500
On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

> I think you want both snapshots on the local server, as well as BPC on a
> remote server. They each serve a different need. You might also want a image
> copy on a remote server, which is yet another different requirement.

On the image copy front, I think for linux at least there could be an
easy integration between BPC and RearR
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/System_Administrators_Guide/ch-Relax-and-Recover_ReaR.html
(also available for other distributions).   ReaR isn't an actual
filesystem or disk imager, but it does give the ability to recover
from bare metal.    Basically it builds a generic boot image
containing all of the native (and current) tools on the host system to
partition and create filesystems/raids, and to restore your backup
onto it - and a script to recreate the system where the backup was
taken on a new system starting from bare metal.  Typically this would
be from a tar image saved along with the bootable iso on an NFS mount,
but there are many variations.    I think it would be relatively easy
to make it just build the bootable iso and store a copy locally to be
picked up in normal BPC runs, and adjust the restore script to pull
from the last BPC backup, retaining all of the BPC advantages of being
able to retrieve individual files or directories and pooling
everything, including the boot isos until you might need to burn a
copy.