BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devsm

2017-07-21 13:32:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devsm
From: Bzzzz <lazyvirus AT gmx DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 19:32:17 +0200
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 02:40:57 +1000
Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

> I think you want both snapshots on the local server, as well as BPC on
> a remote server. They each serve a different need.

Hmm, I'm not that sure; for the time being, snapshots will be kept and
doubled w/ other BPC servers for daily "snapshots" of only work
directories.
Time will say if ZFS snapshots are mandatory or completely replace by
daily BPC.
The current architecture being a 3-2-1 w/ redondant level 2.

> You might also want
> a image copy on a remote server, which is yet another different
> requirement.

I guess you mean for total reconstruction (?)
At this time I did not found any significant gain of time between image
(which, BTW, takes a lot of time/bandwidth/disk space  to achieve) and
a BPC reconstruction done from a minimal OS installation.
Not to mention that in a release last months of life, it is sometimes
important to use backports to avoid a hard transition with the
next release (hence, forcing to multiply images.)

JY