BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devs

2017-07-21 10:00:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devs
From: Bzzzz <lazyvirus AT gmx DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:59:19 +0200
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 06:29:46 -0700
Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com> wrote:

> A better solution would be a change to rsyncd to monitor its
> filesystem and remember which files were touched since the last
> backup.

Yep, this is much closer to what I imagined.

> Some filesystems have a "backdoor" like inotify that lets you
> get notified of files getting touched. rsyncd could log these and only
> consult this list, not the whole filesystem. You'd need some way to
> reset the list and force a full filesystem check.

Not necessarily, as other files than work aren't important in this
matter; the idea (I forgot to allude to formerly:/) is to confine
the modified version of BPC to ~/WORK or ~/Documents + ~/Pictures
in order to lower ressources consumption hourly (and because that's
all that's needed:)

In fact, I just realize that, given what I wrote above, the only things
needed would be: a secondary list of directories to backup and
secondaries schedule parms to achieve that.

So, may be there's no need to modify anything, just launch (and stop)
another instance of BPC by a crontab while feeding it with different
configuration files (IF it doesn't check itself for an already running
instance before starting ?)

@GW Haywood: this would be limited to executive people that usually know
what they're doing and are the only ones that are working on not-to-lose
docs ie: big spreadsheets  - the idea is to entirely pull off any admin
from the restoration process, which isn't the case w/ snapshots.

JY