BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC v4 for Fedora / EPEL Update

2017-03-31 08:04:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC v4 for Fedora / EPEL Update
From: Bob of Donelson Trophy <bob AT donelsontrophy DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 07:03:26 -0500

On 2017-03-30 18:37, Richard Shaw wrote:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Bob of Donelson Trophy <bob AT donelsontrophy DOT net> wrote:

No, you don't need to worry about configure.pl when you're doing a package based install, it's already taken care of...

I envisioned install and then go to http://ipaddress/BackupPC_Admin but, during installation I was never asked to create a web access password.

RPM based installations are never interactive like deb packages. I may rename it but if you look in /usr/share/doc/BackupPC-4.1.0/README.fedora it shows you how to setup the password access for apache.

"Systemctl status backuppc" reports:

systemctl status backuppc
● backuppc.service - BackupPC server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/backuppc.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

What's next?

It's assumed that if you're setting up a serious backup server that you know the basics of setting up and starting services for your distro. The short version is:

(as root after the above is complete)
# systemctl enable backuppc
# systemctl start backuppc

Thanks,
Richard

Thank you for that clarity, Richard.

The slight differences is how a user does this or that between the two distros (CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu) elude me at times. For give my ignorance, I have not used CentOS much over the years.

The "systemctl status" for both "backuppc" and "httpd" show them both "active (running)" but "http://ipaddress/BackupPC/" still yields "Unable to Connect" on the webpage.

Checked "firewalld" and added http access.

Now, "http://ipaddress/BackupPC/" yields "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC/ on this server."

Following the README.fedora I set backuppc user for web access but I am guessing this, once again, is the different between the two distros and I do not remember what to do? Is it permission issues between BackupPC and Apache? Or is it user permissions?

Any thoughts?