BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] systemd init for version 4?

2017-03-18 13:12:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] systemd init for version 4?
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 10:11:12 -0700
Yes, I've tested it.  BackupPC always creates a PID file even in non-daemon mode (BackupPC checks it to see if another copy is running already).

I only started using systemd a week ago :), so I appreciate the suggestions.  I agree the PIDFile isn't needed, but it does remove it if BackupPC isn't running, which is a small bit of useful housekeeping.

I am hoping to get 4.1.0 out soon.  I decided to make the next version 4.1.0 instead of 4.0.1 since there are a couple of new features (BackupPC_migrateV3toV4, new CSS from Ernesto, systemd config, changes to configure.pl) and one relatively significant bug fix (exponential expiry of backups from Alexander), in addition to several more minor bug fixes (fixing umask, nmblookup hosts in rsync, more robust checking that IO::Dirent works, better handing of empty reference counts per backup by BackupPC_refCntUpdate, fixing exit status in UserCommandRun(), BackupPC exit 0 following SIGTERM, etc).

There are two open issues (#64 and #65) that I haven't been able to replicate that ideally I'd like to root cause before releasing.  I have open suggestions to each reporter to help debug.  Does anyone else have open 4.x issues (other than local config etc)?

Craig