BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with configuration for Win 10 client

2017-01-17 06:05:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with configuration for Win 10 client
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Jan Stransky <jan.stransky.ccp4 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 12:00:56 +0100
Hi,

Jan Stransky wrote on 2017-01-17 09:58:21 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with
configuration for Win 10 client]:
> I have noticed this on my first BackupPC setup too.

"This"? You've noticed help with configuration for Win 10 client?

> Why is rsync run from host via ssh, and doesn't use rsync's native ssh
> capability?

Because BackupPC doesn't use rsync, so it can't use "rsync's native ssh
capability".

> Also it would be nice to change user used on host with some variable (I
> know I can define it, I mean accesible from web interface) There could
> be reasons, why ssh to root is not allowed.

I don't understand your question. You *can* do exactly that, and you
quoted how to do it:

> On 01/17/2017 02:53 AM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > --On Monday, January 16, 2017 8:36 PM -0500 TE Dukes
> > <tdukes AT palmettoshopper DOT com> wrote:
> >
> >> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd}

You can define a command that BackupPC uses to connect to some remote
software that speaks the rsync protocol. How you implement that is totally
up to you and outside the scope of BackupPC, which is why you've got all
the flexibility you possibly can get: you can specify the entire command,
and you can access that setting through the web interface.

There is a commonly used implementation provided as an example for your
convenience, but you'll have to judge for yourself if that suits your needs
or how you will need to change it. You could just as well use 'wget' to
remotely start up the command and 'netcat' or 'openssl' to connect to it,
but most people tend to use 'ssh', 'sudo', or a combination of both. 'ssh'
happens to sometimes require a 'user name' parameter, but BackupPC has
(and needs) no concept of this, just like it doesn't know about other
parameters that arbitrary commands might or might not require.

As a side note, I've *never* found it necessary to specify a '-l root'
parameter to ssh for backups. 'sudo', on the other hand, defaults to
root, so I don't need a user parameter there, either. It's by design that
my backup configuration doesn't require individual RsyncClientCmd settings
per host. You may or may not have the freedom of that choice, but you
*do* have the freedom to use individual RsyncClientCmd settings if your
environment does require them.

Regards,
Holger