BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to setup mailing

2017-01-04 10:07:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to setup mailing
From: Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:51:08 -0500
On 1/3/2017 1:26 PM, Jan Stransky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my appology for such stupid question, but how can I setup mailing from
> backuppc? For new user all the stuff around this is quite confusing, and
> I was not able to find any suitable manual.
>
> What do I have available and know:
>
> 1) I have own email service with imap and smtp in the Internet. But it
> is for my basicaly equivalent to gmail. I can make new profile, manage
> aliases etc., but don't have access to the bowls.
>
> 2) With ubuntu backuppc package a postfix is installed. However, in
> backuppc config ask for sendmail path.

The sendmail referenced here is a small mail submission program (not to
be confused with the sendmail MTA).  Postfix should provide this.  Go to
a command prompt and type "which sendmail".  This should give you the
path you need.

> What do I need or am I struggeling with:
>
> 1) I want use that my smtp, so I'll get emails from like
> "backuppc AT what-ever-mail-i-have DOT foo" to mail adress so I know about
> problem even when I am offsite. However, I don't see anywhere in
> backuppc configs place for login credentials etc.

You shouldn't need login credentials to send a message using the
sendmail program.  You just need the from and to addresses.  Take a look
at the Email section of the web admin and set up the
"EMailFromUserName", "EMailAdminUserName", and "EMailUserDestDomain" for
your system.

Note that the configuration variable names in the web admin are links
into the documentation for that setting.

> 2) so do I need postfix? Or should I install sendmail, which backuppc
> ask for?

You should have what you need with Postfix.

> 3) as I am thinking about running backuppc using few docker containers,
> so one of the options is also backuppc dedicated smtp container. But I
> guess backuppc config would be similar to no 1. Or how would I point
> backuppc to this smtp IP adress?

Can't help you with that one...

--
Bowie