BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How to setup mailing

2017-01-03 13:27:14
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How to setup mailing
From: Jan Stransky <jan.stransky.ccp4 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2017 19:26:05 +0100
Hi,

my appology for such stupid question, but how can I setup mailing from
backuppc? For new user all the stuff around this is quite confusing, and
I was not able to find any suitable manual.

What do I have available and know:

1) I have own email service with imap and smtp in the Internet. But it
is for my basicaly equivalent to gmail. I can make new profile, manage
aliases etc., but don't have access to the bowls.

2) With ubuntu backuppc package a postfix is installed. However, in
backuppc config ask for sendmail path.

What do I need or am I struggeling with:

1) I want use that my smtp, so I'll get emails from like
"backuppc AT what-ever-mail-i-have DOT foo" to mail adress so I know about
problem even when I am offsite. However, I don't see anywhere in
backuppc configs place for login credentials etc.

2) so do I need postfix? Or should I install sendmail, which backuppc
ask for?

3) as I am thinking about running backuppc using few docker containers,
so one of the options is also backuppc dedicated smtp container. But I
guess backuppc config would be similar to no 1. Or how would I point
backuppc to this smtp IP adress?

I would be very grateful, if you could point me to correct direction,
what to look for, or if youn know about some manual about this.

Best regards,

Jan