BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server

2016-09-08 17:21:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server
From: Michele Zarri <m.zarri AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 22:20:32 +0100

On 08/09/16 00:06, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On 08/09/16 02:37, Michele Zarri wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is it possible to access backups created with a different machine?
>>
>> My backuppc server died, but /var/lib/backuppc was on a different disk
>> so I still have full backups of localhost.
>> Ideally I would like to restore the full system but it would already be
>> very good to recover the mysql databases and selected system
>> configuration files.
>>
>> I reinstalled ubuntu, reinstalled backuppc, relinked /var/lib/backuppc but
>> - No joy with the GUI (old backups do not show)
>> - No joy using the command line.
>>
>> (as backuppc user)
>> $ /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h localhost -n 224 -s '/'
>> /var/lib/mysql > /tmp/dbs.tar
>> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate: bad backup number 224 for
>> host localhost
>>
>> - BackupPC_zcat works but I have not figured out how to restore
>> user:group and permissions
>>
>> Is there a way to get the GUI to read the backups (I am lazy)? If not is
>> there a way to trick BackupPC_tarCreate?
>>
>> Note that when I re-installed backuppc it probably wrote new files in
>> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/ and I do not have backups of those.
> It would help if you provided the error messages you get with the gui in
> the logs...
> However, my guess is that the userid/groupid for the new install doesn't
> match the old. You have two choices:
> 1) Uninstall backuppc, remove the user/group backuppc, manually create
> the user/group backuppc but make sure you match the userid/groupid on
> the files in /var/lib/backuppc....
> 2) Re-mount /var/lib/backuppc and map all existing files to the new
> userid/groupid that the backuppc user has.
>
> Another possibility, you need to re-create the config files and/or hosts
> file.... The contents probably don't matter a lot, as long as the
> hostnames match the old ones (see /var/lib/backuppc/pc/ for the right
> names).
>
> Hope that helps....
>
> Regards,
> Adam

Thanks guys,

I found out that the issue was relatively trivial: the file "backups" in
the root localhost (/var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/backups) was
overwritten when backuppc was reinstalled so that it only had one entry.

I guess it could be possible to re-build the previous backups using the
file backupInfo within each backup but it is too much work.
Instead I renamed the last directory with a full backup (in my case 224)
0 and I was back in action.

So the (partial) solution was simply:
mv /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/0
/var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/0.original
mv /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/224 /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/0

Regards,

Michele