BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server

2016-09-07 12:38:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server
From: Michele Zarri <m.zarri AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 17:37:42 +0100
Hello,

Is it possible to access backups created with a different machine?

My backuppc server died, but /var/lib/backuppc was on a different disk
so I still have full backups of localhost.
Ideally I would like to restore the full system but it would already be
very good to recover the mysql databases and selected system
configuration files.

I reinstalled ubuntu, reinstalled backuppc, relinked /var/lib/backuppc but
- No joy with the GUI (old backups do not show)
- No joy using the command line.

(as backuppc user)
$ /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h localhost -n 224 -s '/'
/var/lib/mysql > /tmp/dbs.tar
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate: bad backup number 224 for
host localhost

- BackupPC_zcat works but I have not figured out how to restore
user:group and permissions

Is there a way to get the GUI to read the backups (I am lazy)? If not is
there a way to trick BackupPC_tarCreate?

Note that when I re-installed backuppc it probably wrote new files in
/var/lib/backuppc/pc/ and I do not have backups of those.

Cheers,

Michele