BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server

2016-09-13 13:08:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Michele Zarri <m.zarri AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 19:47:07 +0200
Hi,

Michele Zarri wrote on 2016-09-08 22:20:32 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] access
backups created by different server]:
> > On 08/09/16 02:37, Michele Zarri wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate: bad backup number 224 for
> >> host localhost
> >> [...]
> I found out that the issue was relatively trivial: the file "backups" in
> the root localhost (/var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/backups) was
> overwritten when backuppc was reinstalled so that it only had one entry.
>
> I guess it could be possible to re-build the previous backups using the
> file backupInfo within each backup but it is too much work.

really? As in

        su - backuppc
        /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary

? Admitted, you might need to delete the single entry from the backups file
first, but it will probably work equally well if you don't. Why is there an
entry anyway? Does your distribution ship BackupPC with an initial backup
for localhost? ;-)

> Instead I renamed the last directory with a full backup (in my case 224)
> 0 and I was back in action.

Well, yes, but you lose your backup history, and you'll probably run into
problems when you try to do backups ...

Regards,
Holger