BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server

2016-09-07 19:07:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] access backups created by different server
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:06:35 +1000
On 08/09/16 02:37, Michele Zarri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to access backups created with a different machine?
>
> My backuppc server died, but /var/lib/backuppc was on a different disk
> so I still have full backups of localhost.
> Ideally I would like to restore the full system but it would already be
> very good to recover the mysql databases and selected system
> configuration files.
>
> I reinstalled ubuntu, reinstalled backuppc, relinked /var/lib/backuppc but
> - No joy with the GUI (old backups do not show)
> - No joy using the command line.
>
> (as backuppc user)
> $ /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h localhost -n 224 -s '/'
> /var/lib/mysql > /tmp/dbs.tar
> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate: bad backup number 224 for
> host localhost
>
> - BackupPC_zcat works but I have not figured out how to restore
> user:group and permissions
>
> Is there a way to get the GUI to read the backups (I am lazy)? If not is
> there a way to trick BackupPC_tarCreate?
>
> Note that when I re-installed backuppc it probably wrote new files in
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/ and I do not have backups of those.

It would help if you provided the error messages you get with the gui in
the logs...
However, my guess is that the userid/groupid for the new install doesn't
match the old. You have two choices:
1) Uninstall backuppc, remove the user/group backuppc, manually create
the user/group backuppc but make sure you match the userid/groupid on
the files in /var/lib/backuppc....
2) Re-mount /var/lib/backuppc and map all existing files to the new
userid/groupid that the backuppc user has.

Another possibility, you need to re-create the config files and/or hosts
file.... The contents probably don't matter a lot, as long as the
hostnames match the old ones (see /var/lib/backuppc/pc/ for the right
names).

Hope that helps....

Regards,
Adam