BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The graph is not showing on the main backuppc page

2016-09-08 13:29:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The graph is not showing on the main backuppc page
From: David Trebacz <david AT trebacz DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 10:29:04 -0700

I had the same issue and decided to investigate. My error log looked like this:

ERROR: opening '/var/lib/backuppc/log/pool.rrd': Permission denied: /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/index.cgi, referer: http://servername/backuppc/index.cgi

I found that I had to give execute permissions to the folders above and read permissions to "everyone" on the pool.rrd then the graph appeared. It would seem that the CGI script is executing as "everyone" vs "backuppc user"

Here are the minimal permission changes I made to get things to work.
Changed BackupPC directory permission from: 2750 to 2751 --> drwxr-s--x backuppc backuppc
Changed BackupPC/log directory permission from: 750 to 751 --> drwxr-x--x  backuppc backuppc log
Changed BackupPC/log/pool.rrd directory permission from: 640 to 754 --> -rwxr-xr-- backuppc backuppc pool.rrd

My server is blocked from public access, so I was comfortable making this change. I would be very happy to hear anyone's comments regarding what type of security issue this may be -and if there is another way to better way to solve this.

David Trebacz
David Trebacz Profile Picture
www.linkedin.com/in/trebacz
Email: david AT trebacz DOT com