BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM

2016-09-05 11:09:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM
From: Colin <colintempler AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 16:07:57 +0100
Hi all,
I know this question has been asked and answered before but I need help as the past suggestions are not working for me.

I currently have lots of data on a normal parition (no LVM) and when trying to copying to a new disk, it always fail after a while:

# df -h /var/lib/BackupPC
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1       493G  394G   74G  85% /var/lib/BackupPC

# rsync -aH /var/lib/BackupPC/. /mnt/.

But after a while I OOM just kills it:

kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 37846 (rsync) score 200 or sacrifice child
kernel: Killed process 37847 (rsync) total-vm:2059440kB, anon-rss:1489528kB, file-rss:1384kB, shmem-rss:0kB
kernel: bash invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x27000c0(GFP_KERNEL_ACCOUNT|__GFP_NOTRACK), order=2, oom_score_adj=0
kernel: bash cpuset=/ mems_allowed=0

So far I've tried just rsync'ing individual directories under /var/lib/BackupPC but in the end, the destination appears to use almost double of the space of the current one.
Another solution I tried was dump/restore but it just takes too long: longer than a day and backup are daily so this solution doesn't fit.

Any ideas ?
Thanks!

Cheers,
Colin