BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM

2016-09-06 10:03:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Colin <colintempler AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 16:07:05 +0200
Hi,

Colin wrote on 2016-09-05 17:46:34 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving
/var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM]:
> Thank you Les!
> I'll have a go tomorrow after backups with something similar as:
> dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=16M
> [...]
> On 5 September 2016 at 17:03, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Colin <colintempler AT gmail DOT com>
> > wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > I currently have lots of data on a normal parition (no LVM) and when
> > trying
> > > to copying to a new disk, it always fail after a while:
> > > [...]
> > Your best shot would be to use dd to copy the partition to the new
> > disk, then grow the filesystem to fill the space using the filesystem
> > tools. [...]

if that (at the top ... would have been at the bottom without top-posting)
doesn't work for some reason or you want to change file system types, then
please get back to us. I have a script that handles it at the file level,
though not well tested. And dd will definitely be faster, so if that works
for you, it is certainly the better option.

Regards,
Holger