BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM

2016-09-06 04:36:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM
From: Benjamin Redling <benjamin.rampe AT uni-jena DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 10:36:04 +0200
Am 05.09.2016 um 17:07 schrieb Colin:
> # df -h /var/lib/BackupPC
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1       493G  394G   74G  85% /var/lib/BackupPC
>
> # rsync -aH /var/lib/BackupPC/. /mnt/.

> So far I've tried just rsync'ing individual directories under
> /var/lib/BackupPC but in the end, the destination appears to use almost
> double of the space of the current one.

rsync to an empty dir/disks never(?) makes any sense.
Additionally any file based approach will be hit hard .... by hard links.

> Another solution I tried was dump/restore but it just takes too long:
> longer than a day and backup are daily so this solution doesn't fit.
>
> Any ideas ?

At least an idea to get the same file system to a bigger disk:
dd
-- or anything else for cloning a partition.

I migrated a full 1TB partition via dd to a 2.2TB relatively fast --
from a remote VM to a local host, the throughput was limited by that VM
anyway.
I only had to resize it afterwards.
The main drawback of that method is, that you would be stuck with the
same file system type.

Regards,
Benjamin
--
FSU Jena | JULIELab.de/Staff/Benjamin+Redling.html
vox: +49 3641 9 44323 | fax: +49 3641 9 44321