BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM

2016-09-06 09:47:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM
From: Colin <colintempler AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 14:46:10 +0100
Thank you Benjamin.

I ended doing the dd like:
dd if=/dev/sdb1 | pv -s 400G | dd of=/dev/sdc1 bs=16M

That took around 5h total, which was great!
Being stuck with the same filesystem sucks but it seems without any bigger window of downtime, there isn't any tool that would be possible to use.

Thank you all!

Cheers,
Colin

On 6 September 2016 at 09:36, Benjamin Redling <benjamin.rampe AT uni-jena DOT de> wrote:
Am 05.09.2016 um 17:07 schrieb Colin:
> # df -h /var/lib/BackupPC
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1       493G  394G   74G  85% /var/lib/BackupPC
>
> # rsync -aH /var/lib/BackupPC/. /mnt/.

> So far I've tried just rsync'ing individual directories under
> /var/lib/BackupPC but in the end, the destination appears to use almost
> double of the space of the current one.

rsync to an empty dir/disks never(?) makes any sense.
Additionally any file based approach will be hit hard .... by hard links.

> Another solution I tried was dump/restore but it just takes too long:
> longer than a day and backup are daily so this solution doesn't fit.
>
> Any ideas ?

At least an idea to get the same file system to a bigger disk:
dd
-- or anything else for cloning a partition.

I migrated a full 1TB partition via dd to a 2.2TB relatively fast --
from a remote VM to a local host, the throughput was limited by that VM
anyway.
I only had to resize it afterwards.
The main drawback of that method is, that you would be stuck with the
same file system type.

Regards,
Benjamin
--
FSU Jena | JULIELab.de/Staff/Benjamin+Redling.html
vox: +49 3641 9 44323 | fax: +49 3641 9 44321