BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM

2016-09-05 12:47:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Moving /var/lib/BackupPC to a new disk fails with rsync and OOM
From: Colin <colintempler AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 17:46:34 +0100
Thank you Les!
I'll have a go tomorrow after backups with something similar as:
dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc1 bs=16M

Cheers,
Colin

On 5 September 2016 at 17:03, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Colin <colintempler AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I know this question has been asked and answered before but I need help as
> the past suggestions are not working for me.
>
> I currently have lots of data on a normal parition (no LVM) and when trying
> to copying to a new disk, it always fail after a while:
>
> # df -h /var/lib/BackupPC
> Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1       493G  394G   74G  85% /var/lib/BackupPC
>
> # rsync -aH /var/lib/BackupPC/. /mnt/.
>
> But after a while I OOM just kills it:

Your best shot would be to use dd to copy the partition to the new
disk, then grow the filesystem to fill the space using the filesystem
tools.  You don't need lvm for that since the space is already there,
but the details of the command will depend on the type of filesystem.