BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities

2016-05-17 12:20:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 02:19:55 +1000

On 18/05/2016 02:05, Juergen Harms wrote:
> On 05/17/2016 01:33 PM, Alexander Moisseev wrote:
>> Did you upgrade backuppc from sources or some distribution packages?
>   From the Mageia distro - there may be an explanation in that. But at
> that time I had been maintainer for BackupPC in Mageia - the distro
> package was essentially the wrapped out tarball.
>
> Lets not put too much weight on this - my memory is not 100%, lets just
> keep the argument that there is a consideration to be aware of.

It seems there are a couple of methods packages are moving towards these
days (at least in debian):
1) The default installed config file should not be modified by the admin
(but it can be if they really want to and deal with the resulting
upgrade issues later).
2) The default config includes all config files from a subdirectory. The
local admin is suggested to create (one or more) config files here, with
local config entries which will over-ride the global defaults.
3) It is possible the local package management system might do one of:
a) Modify the global default config to customise paths of binaries, or
specify local package relevant config
b) Create a file in the local config over-ride directory which will then
hold all the "relevant" configs for the local system. This file can
in-turn be over-ridden rather than locally modified if the config
snippets are read in a pre-determined fashion (eg, alphabetic order, or
numeric prefix order, etc).

This is something I could see as being very useful, and has minimal
modifications to the existing setup/configs.

PS, you could also "test" each fragment for syntax before attempting to
load it.... What to do on a syntax error may vary (either log and
ignore, or log and error)....

Regards,
Adam