BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities

2016-05-16 13:21:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 19:20:32 +0200
Thanks Juergen,
Cmments inline.

Il 16/05/2016 17:50, Juergen Harms ha scritto:
> Opening a new Subject to keep this discussion somewhat readable. Some
> replies to / and adding to the list of Mauros points:
>
> - have me join and participate in git management activities: why not? I
> have been intrigued by my ignorance on GIT - learning is always a
> challenge if there are people ready to reply to questions
That's what keeps You young  ;)

> - looking into divergence between V4 and V3x
> I had also arrived at this kind of topic, but from a slightly different
> side: draft a short evaluation paper on the state of V3x and V4 - to
> have a solid base for what we are talking about and for deciding actions
> and priorities - without that, email discussion might become dispersive.
> I will pick this up. Immediate conclusion: writing a clever perl
> programme is one thing - but not a all the same as understanding a
> clever perl programme written by somebody else and having a different
> background. Please be patient.
No need to hurry.
Lars already has everything as a branch.
Forking, if at all necessary, can be done later from the branch.

> - first naive question: what does that mean "to open "issues" on
> backuppc/backuppc"? one of my black holes.
"Issues" are the way github handles trouble tickets; that is on the assumption
a missing
issue or a wish can be considered as a "bug" and thus treated in the same way.
You need to:
- register on github
- go to https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc
- click on "Issues" tab
 From there it should be clear, otherwise feel free to ask.

> Something perfectly different: how about checking how well different
> domains of competence are covered by the people already on board - and
> of themes where we are perfectly blank? We talked about programming
> skills and software management. What other domains are essential?
> checking, but also have a list of people whose arm to twist if a problem
> pops up on some particular issue. How about
> - web front (or is it back?)-end for the user interface
> - interface with apache and co
> - platform (OS) specific issues - is cygwin part of this topic?
> - components (ssh, rysnc, samba ... )
> - what more?
> (a weak ago I would have considered asking such questions as esoteric)
I would add "packaging" as today it's rather hard to install in non-standard
places.
Also preparing an official Docker container would be a way to ease deployment.
Same story for cygwin-rsync, it's all very straightforward for sysadmin-type,
less
so for a casual user.

I suggest whoever is interested to contribute should write a short presentation
to a
specific thread stating areas of expertise and how much time he can devolve.
This will enable to assign tasks with some hope they can be carried out.
I will write a mail right after this to start the thread.

> Wiki is another topic (and certainly not first priority). I had a look
> at the BackupPC wiki at sourceforge. At present it looks like a
> well-done repository for a summary description on BackupPC. As we
> explore issues on BackupPC, maybe notes could be collected on topics
> that would be nice to appear in the wiki. Could the wiki play a role in
> documenting plans/actions? Is there someone who feels motivated to drive
> action on the wiki? are there choices to be made?  I have experience
> with wikimedia technology, but the wiki at sourceforge looks different,
> and I have not seen links to "help". Is the wiki at github yet different?
Wiki at github is similar to wikimedia.
I suggest to start fresh there since it doesn't seem we have a lot of content
on SourceForge.

> I do not suggest to distract from the principle issue: stabilize
> BackupPC and establish a solid base for continuing - but I think this
> kind of tour-d'horizon to get a general idea of the outstanding issues
> is a good thing to do in the present situation; "for future action" is
> always a valid reply.
Agreed.
Given the flow of "issues" coming into github it seems we indeed have something
to fix.

> Juergen
Regards
Mauro