BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities

2016-05-17 06:22:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 12:21:26 +0200
Hi Juergen,

comments below.

Il 17/05/2016 11:29, Juergen Harms ha scritto:
> On 05/16/2016 08:37 PM, Alexander Moisseev wrote:
>> As FreeBSD sysutils/backuppc port maintainer I can say one of the first
>> thing that should be done is to split up configure.pl in two parts:
>> installation script and configuration/update script.
>> It's practically impossible to create pre-built package with monolithic
>> configure.pl script, and I didn't find a way to do that. Finally I managed
>> to solve that problem applying awful patch to configure.pl that removed
>> installation part from it.
> I agree that this is a very important issue. Can you also take the
> aspect on board to facilitate the users work when he adapts his
> customization to a new release? I have always found it extremely painful
> to wade through more than 2000 lines of config.pl to find the 3 lines
> that need to be considered for updating.
That is another, possibly huge, chapter.
Current setup (and especially installation setup, but not only) is not
extremely user-friendly (or, as Linus once said about Linux: "it's very choosy
about *its* friends").
It is OK (kind of) for sysadmin-type users with a good Perl background, but for
the average user it's "a bit uphill".
I fully appreciate the intrinsic power of exposing the inner structure, but
that is overwhelming for the trivial tasks.
Produce canned sequences for the most used setups should be fairly high
priority.
What I mean is we should have a set of scripts (to be morphed into a real GUI
later) covering the most frequent use-cases without requiring Perl source
modification. I think of a script taking a few parameters and doing the
appropriate changes into config.pl, much in the same spirit as configure.pl,
but broken down into smaller pieces that can be reused after initial
configuration.
This could be architected together with Alexander's work.
first step would be definition of use-cases we want to cover.

What do You think?

> Juergen
Mauro