BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities

2016-05-17 12:30:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 11:30:10 -0500
On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Juergen Harms <juergen.harms AT unige DOT ch>
wrote:
> On 05/17/2016 01:33 PM, Alexander Moisseev wrote:
>> Did you upgrade backuppc from sources or some distribution packages?
>
>  From the Mageia distro - there may be an explanation in that. But at
> that time I had been maintainer for BackupPC in Mageia - the distro
> package was essentially the wrapped out tarball.
>
> Lets not put too much weight on this - my memory is not 100%, lets just
> keep the argument that there is a consideration to be aware of.

Originally there was an issue where distribution-packaged version had
already run configure.pl with values appropriate for the distribution
before packaging and you could not subsequently change TopDir, but
that is fixed in the current code.  There is probably more variation
than necessary across different distributions, but it might do more
harm than good to try to change that now - at least for v3.  It does
make it difficult to discuss issues on the mail list when different
users will be seeing different things, though.