BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities

2016-05-16 11:51:01
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Issues for future backuppc activities
From: Juergen Harms <juergen.harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 17:50:17 +0200
Opening a new Subject to keep this discussion somewhat readable. Some
replies to / and adding to the list of Mauros points:

- have me join and participate in git management activities: why not? I
have been intrigued by my ignorance on GIT - learning is always a
challenge if there are people ready to reply to questions

- looking into divergence between V4 and V3x
I had also arrived at this kind of topic, but from a slightly different
side: draft a short evaluation paper on the state of V3x and V4 - to
have a solid base for what we are talking about and for deciding actions
and priorities - without that, email discussion might become dispersive.
I will pick this up. Immediate conclusion: writing a clever perl
programme is one thing - but not a all the same as understanding a
clever perl programme written by somebody else and having a different
background. Please be patient.

- first naive question: what does that mean "to open "issues" on
backuppc/backuppc"? one of my black holes.

Something perfectly different: how about checking how well different
domains of competence are covered by the people already on board - and
of themes where we are perfectly blank? We talked about programming
skills and software management. What other domains are essential?
checking, but also have a list of people whose arm to twist if a problem
pops up on some particular issue. How about
- web front (or is it back?)-end for the user interface
- interface with apache and co
- platform (OS) specific issues - is cygwin part of this topic?
- components (ssh, rysnc, samba ... )
- what more?
(a weak ago I would have considered asking such questions as esoteric)

Wiki is another topic (and certainly not first priority). I had a look
at the BackupPC wiki at sourceforge. At present it looks like a
well-done repository for a summary description on BackupPC. As we
explore issues on BackupPC, maybe notes could be collected on topics
that would be nice to appear in the wiki. Could the wiki play a role in
documenting plans/actions? Is there someone who feels motivated to drive
action on the wiki? are there choices to be made?  I have experience
with wikimedia technology, but the wiki at sourceforge looks different,
and I have not seen links to "help". Is the wiki at github yet different?

I do not suggest to distract from the principle issue: stabilize
BackupPC and establish a solid base for continuing - but I think this
kind of tour-d'horizon to get a general idea of the outstanding issues
is a good thing to do in the present situation; "for future action" is
always a valid reply.

Juergen