BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-19 11:39:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 10:31:33 -0600
On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempesta AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>> I'd bump up FullKeepCntMin and IncrKeepCntMin to the numbers you want
>> to see if that keeps them from being expired early.  I always did that
>> with v3 too just in case something odd happened with the system clock
>> and to keep backups after decommissioning a host.
>
> Bumped Full to 3 (it was 1) and Incremental to 21 (it was 7)
>
> But, at least for Full, this is a great waste of space.
>
>> Also, since the convention for expiry parameters is
>> "FullKeepPeriod/FullKeepCnt" etc refer to *Filled* backups, and
>> "IncrKeepPeriod/IncrKeepCnt" refer to "Unfilled" backups if you change
>> the scheduling you may need to adjust the FillCycle setting.
>
> So, what do you suggest ? I would like to have 1 full every 30 days
> and 1 incremental each day
> being able to revert to each day up to full (30 days before)
>
> I can also try with 1 full every 15 days, having 2 full each month,
> but this will double the used space.

The space usage will only be affected by files that are
changed/deleted between runs.  Any file that still has identical
content will be pooled into one stored instance regardless of how many
backups contain it.   That's the main advantage of BPC over other
systems.