BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-18 11:08:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:07:11 -0600
On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempesta AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> websitemanagers.com DOT au>:
>> Well, that part makes sense, if #0 is deleted/missing, and you want one
>> full minimum, then the system must do a full backup. The question is why
>> did backup #0 vanish after the incremental and before the 2nd full was done?
> cut
>> One thing to remember, it doesn't really matter how many full backups
>> are being done, my concern (if I was in your shoes) would be why the
>> backup disappeared.
>
> Exactly. I'm trying to debug why #0 disappeared.
> The same happend with both server. The same happened even some days
> ago (where all of my issue started)

Why don't you put back the default settings to see they work as
expected?   With v3, the default of weekly fulls works out pretty well
since a longer interval makes rsync transfer more since it sends
changes since the last full - or do more work tracking multiple
directories if you use incremental levels.   Also I sometimes catch
typos or unexpected changes in config files by diffing them against
the default copy.    In any case, bump up the FullKeepCntMin to
something bigger.   Remember, with BPC, multiple copies don't cost
much to store.

And going back to v3, you could get an idea of how long it might take
to start by running something like this on the client:
"time find / -ctime 500 >/dev/null"   (basically any option to cause
the inode values to be read)
plus some overhead for sending the list to the server (and a lot more
if it fills RAM and swaps...).