BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?

2015-04-14 10:36:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:34:35 -0500
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 4:57 PM,  <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
> Dave Sill wrote at about 15:28:49 -0400 on Monday, April 13, 2015:
>  > We've been using BackupPC for a couple years and have just encountered
>  > the problem of insufficient disk space on the server. I've tried
>  > searching the list archives for help, but haven't found what I'm
>  > looking for so far.
>  >
>  > What I'd like to know is (1) where is the disk space going,
> To store ayour backups
>
>  > and (2) how can adjust BackupPC to use less space?
> Save fewer backups or backup fewer machines

But more specifically, a likely problem is that you have some very
large files like databases, log files, virtual machine images or
mailboxes that change daily and thus are not pooled.  Even with rsync
where only the differences are transferred, a complete copy is
reconstructed and saved on the server and only files with exactly
identical content can be pooled.   Database and VM images generally
need special handling to make sure they don't change while being
copied, so you may want to exclude them from the backuppc run and use
other tools for those files.