BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?

2015-04-15 17:56:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?
From: Mark Campbell <mcampbell AT emediatrade DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:37:53 -0700

In my experience, just removing a server doesn’t delete the files, nor reduce disk space on the system, even when you’ve gone into the BackupPC/pc/<host>/ dir and deleted the dir(s) that have a number corresponding to the backup you want to delete.  The best way to remove “orphaned” files (i.e., files that do not have any other hard links), is to run:

su –s /bin/bash –c “/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_nightly 0 255” backuppc

What this does is, runs the BackupPC_nightly script (should have come with your copy of BackupPC) as the user backuppc, with the appropriate flags.  What this script does, is it goes through all of the files in the pool, and if it’s not associated with a backup (i.e., no other hard links), it removes it.  This process can take a really long time (sometimes it takes me minutes; other times, it’s taken me 12+ hours.  All depends on how many files you have, and how many meet the chopping block), and possibly put a heavy load on your system while doing it, so be forewarned before running it.

In short, I’m not sure of a way to check ahead of time whether there’s files that are “cruft”, but you can be sure that after running this script, the number of “cruft” files will be zero.

Thanks,

--Mark