BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Bare Metal Restore, Windows 7

2015-04-14 09:43:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Bare Metal Restore, Windows 7
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 08:41:21 -0500
Of course, BackupPC is well suited to backup and recovery of individual
sets of files rather than complete systems.  In the event of hardware
media failure, I'd generally take it as an opportunity to start afresh
with a new operating system, and recover just the user files.

Recently I lost a drive on a system with a large number of proprietary
drivers that had been updated over the years, and applying that plus all
the necessary software would have been a daunting task, so I simply
restored *everything* from BackuPC, following this procedure:

http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=449

I'm happy to report that it works.  While it may not always be an
adequate substitute for an image backup, the system is back up and
running and virtually indistinguishable from before its drive failed.