BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?

2015-04-15 19:05:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Mark Campbell <mcampbell AT emediatrade DOT com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 01:01:58 +0200
Hi,

Mark Campbell wrote on 2015-04-15 14:37:53 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] How to
manage disk space?]:
> [...] The best way to remove ???orphaned??? files (i.e., files that do not
> have any other hard links), is to run:
>
> su ???s /bin/bash ???c ???/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_nightly 0 255???
> backuppc

as always when that is suggested: WRONG. NEVER call BackupPC_nightly directly.

> What this does is,

possibly trash your pool. And no, you are very unlikely to notice.

> In short, I???m not sure of a way to check ahead of time whether there???s
> files that are ???cruft???, but you can be sure that after running this
> script, the number of ???cruft??? files will be zero.

For an extremely meaningless definition of 'cruft'. BackupPC_nightly is
automatically run by BackupPC when it is safe to do so every night (in
particular, BackupPC won't interfere while it *knows* BackupPC_nightly is
running, which it doesn't if you run it by hand), so this sort of 'cruft'
is regularly removed anyway without any manual action.

Regards,
Holger