BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?

2015-04-13 17:07:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to manage disk space?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:05:06 -0400
On 04/13 03:28 , Dave Sill wrote:
> What I'd like to know is (1) where is the disk space going, and (2)
> how can adjust BackupPC to use less space?

The Host Summary page will allow you to sort by Full Size, and thus see
which hosts are using the most space. Beyond that, it becomes increasingly
difficult to see what parts of those hosts are taking up the space. It might
be easiest to look at the machines being backed up, see what's taking up
space there, and what can be excluded.

Also, double-check that the things you think are being excluded, actually
are.

Rather than reduce disk space usage, my first advice would be to get another
server. It's good to have a second server to back up the configuration of
the first (and vice versa). Also, it doubles your 'bisectional bandwidth',
thus allowing you to back up twice as many machines at the same speed.

If you need to reduce disk usage on your current machine tho, you can try
turning down the retention period. In your config.pl, find the line:
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} =
and try setting it to keep fewer backups. This will not free as much space
as you might think, due to deduplication, but if you find that you've been
backing up some stuff you shouldn't have, lowering the amount of time it's
kept will allow you to purge it out quicker.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator