BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes

2014-11-10 16:09:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:08:49 -0600
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
wrote:

> actually, "host not found" is a failure to resolve the host name (by DNS and
> netbios).

Which might - or might not - still have something to do with a
firewall blocking the netbios response.   We are also assuming that
your virtualbox network is bridged so the target can be reached by the
backuppc server.

> The list of possible solutions is long, with the simplest
> being to add a line in /etc/hosts on the BackupPC server for the machine in
> question. If you have a DNS server on your network, you'd rather add it there,
> which may be slightly more complicated, but will give you network wide
> (consistent) resolution of the host name.

Another simple alternative to working DNS resolution is to set
ClientNameAlias to the target IP address.for each host that needs it.