BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes

2014-11-07 14:33:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Unable to read 4 bytes
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 13:32:27 -0600
On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM, tschmid4 <tschmid4 AT utk DOT edu> wrote:
> The broken pipe could have been my haste to sudo -s after SSH into the box.
>
> If I go into known_hosts and # out the specific line of the server with the
> issue, so I can have the data for reference,
> is that the same as deleting the line or do I really have to remove the
> entire line from the known_hosts file?

I don't know if sshd has a concept for comments in the known_hosts
file.  It would probably work anyway by making it not an exact match.
 But I'd probably just copy the old file to a different name if I
wanted access to the old contents.   You should never need them as
long as you manually connect and accept the new key, unless you are
concerned with the security implications that a different/fake  server
might be trying to intercept your connection and has hijacked the
name/ip address that you used to connect.