BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] lastlog

2014-10-24 15:26:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] lastlog
From: "Moorcroft, Mark (ARC-TS)[ERC, Inc.]" <mark.moorcroft AT nasa DOT gov>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:25:23 +0000
All of my systems are 64 bit CentOS, and all have /var/log/lastlog. With
various pressure from both the private sector and government demanding
some kind of log archiving, I thought some kind of FAQ or note could save
countless man hours for people trying to use BackupPC. I wasted 2 days
going down various rabbit holes, and I actually knew better. But that was
so long ago that I forgot about this until the light bulb went on. When I
searched the BackupPC list archive, I had to go all the way back to 2007
to find discussion about lastlog. So I suggested some kind of hint to help
people OR hard coding something. Perhaps I should have written ³||²
instead of ³or² so you could understand my suggestion. As far as database
files, for some reason those have not killed rsync the way lastlog seems
to. Even backing up an LVM snapshot with lastlog present kills rsync.
Mongo actually recommends backing up it¹s files ³live² from an LVM
snapshot. Of course they suggest dd/gzip, not rsync. I have not decided on
the best way to handle mysql with BackupPC yet.

--

Mark Moorcroft
ERC Corp.