BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] "protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?&quot

2014-10-24 15:30:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] "protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?&quot
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:29:32 -0500
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM, HAL9000
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> "Does anyone here know how to correct this?
>
> yes, simply not do it. What on earth are you trying to do? You have no
> apparent problem, except that you don't speak the rsync protocol (which
> is not really a problem - you don't have to). "
>
> lol. But there is too an issue. This is the command backuppc is trying to tun
> to do the backup.

If your backuppc xfer logs say something about protocol version
mismatch, it is almost always because something else ran first at the
remote end and sent some output. The normal rsync binary can deal with
that, but the perl implementation in backuppc can't.  However if you
only saw that error when you started rsync at one end only with your
own ssh command it is probably what you should expect.

> " /usr/bin/ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=300 -p 222 -q -x -l Administrator
> [DOMAIN] /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner
> --group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
> --checksum-seed=32761 --rsh=\\\'ssh\\\ -p222\\\' --ignore-times .
> /cygdrive/g/ptree/
>  "

I don't understand why you are passing the --rsh comand option to the
remote while you are already remotely running it.

> My ubuntu server won't run the command while a CentOS server backing up the
> same device will.

That sounds more like an error in ssh key setup.