BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] lastlog

2014-10-26 18:11:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] lastlog
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:08:56 +1100
On 25/10/14 02:18, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Moorcroft, Mark (ARC-TS)[ERC, Inc.] wrote on 2014-10-24 03:12:17 +0000
>> [[BackupPC-users] lastlog]:
>>> Can someone please put the situation in Linux with not filtering
>>> /var/log/lastlog (sparse file) somewhere in the docs. It comes back to
>>> bite me every few years and I waste a bunch of time figuring out why rsync
>>> keeps aborting. Or for that matter just hard code ignoring that file.
>> oh, yes, great idea! Let me see ...
>>
>> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 293168 Jan 31  2014 /var/log/lastlog
>>   As impossible as it is
>> pointless.
> It's not really pointless when including such a file breaks the backup
> run completely.

Actually, I would suggest that if it breaks the backup completely, then
it is a good outcome. If it broke the backup silently, or worked
perfectly for 3 years and then randomly broke, only then is it a
significant problem (IMHO).

Perhaps a more relevant question is why did it take so long to discover
the problem? Is that a problem with the information/logs/runtime status
that backuppc produces?

BTW, does backuppc support rsync's --sparse option? If it does, perhaps
it would be a better suggestion to add this to the default
configuration, which I assume would solve the problem for the more
general case of having "large" sparse files which are mostly made up of
"holes".

Regards,
Adam

--