BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Running BackupPC and Nagios web interfaces from the same box

2014-10-15 14:02:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Running BackupPC and Nagios web interfaces from the same box
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:00:02 -0500
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM, xpac <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT
com> wrote:
> Then I don't understand the question. You should not have had to
>  touch the configs and the suid part would be provided by a binary
>  wrapper in usr/share/BackupPC/sbin/BackupPC_Admin.
>
> I followed the instructions in this blog:
> http://ftanada.wordpress.com/2012/10/18/install-backuppc-on-centos-6-3/
>
> Specifically
>
> "15. This time, edit the Apache configuration file.
> nano /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
>
> Changes should reflect these changes:
> User backuppc
> Group apache
> ServerName actual_server_hostname_or_IP_Address:80"
>

> This is the step that breaks the Nagios web interface

So you can find bad advice on the internet...  I didn't keep detailed
notes but I'm sure I did not install anything from repositories other
than standard Centos and EPEL, and did not need changes to httpd.conf,
and installing the package should add the needed backuppc user
automatically.   I did make the 'allow from All' change to
/etc/httpd/conf.d/Backuppc.conf, followed the advice at the top of
that file to run:
htpasswd -c /etc/BackupPC/apache.users yourusername, and added the
matching user name to $Conf{CgiAdminUsers} = in
/etc/BackupPC/config.pl
and after that, I think all necessary changes were done through the
web interface.

You should be running CentOS 6.5 now, not the 6.3 described in that
link, and the packaging may have changed over time, but in the current
version, the aliases in /etc/httpd/conf.d/Backuppc.conf point to a
setuid wrapper that takes care of running the cgi as the backuppc
user.