BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc won't backup a remote system

2014-05-27 18:40:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc won't backup a remote system
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 08:38:37 +1000
On 28/05/14 07:46, J.L. Blom wrote:
> On 27/05/14 14:04, Remi Verchere wrote:
>>> However, in the log on that system I can see that sshd is started but
>>> immediately closed.
>>> Can somebody give me a clue how to solve this?
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Joep
>> Hi,
>>
>> do you have rsync installed on the remote server?
>>
> All,
> Thanks for the responses. I'll answer below.
> XIN, : Yes I can ssh to the remote system;
> DAVID: yes I have to give the password;
> TAN: No I logged on as the user on that system with the corresponding
> password;
>           Explain MOTD (?);
> REMI: yes that is installed;
> TAN: I logged on with backuppc and it asked for the password so I think
> that is the problem but how to solve it?

Fix the SSH keys.

You must follow the plentiful guides available to get passwordless ssh
login working from the backuppc user to the remote system. Normally you
would ssh as root on the remote system, but if not, then you either need
to ensure the user you use has permission to access the files you want
to backup, or else you need to setup sudo to provide permissions. I
would strongly suggest you get a basic login as root working first,
before trying more complicated options.

Regards,
Adam

--