BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc won't backup a remote system

2014-05-29 12:09:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc won't backup a remote system
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: jlblom AT neuroweave DOT nl, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 11:07:29 -0500
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:53 AM, J.L. Blom <joep AT neuroweave DOT nl> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply. I assume I have to login to the backup
> server as root and then generate the keys as backuppc has no password
> for logging in as user backuppc.

Log in as root, then "su - backuppc', or if your installation does not
give the backuppc user a shell that will fail. and in that case use
'su -s /bin/bash - backuppc'.

> Tan, thanks for the tip. U assume that
> will work although I don't understand why backuppc backs up my local
> station the one I log on as joep) where the backuppc is running.
> I'm planning to completely reshuffle this system by splitting it in a
> workstation and virtual server (using vmwar, virtualbox or kvm) as that
> can run headless and presumably will be much faster. There I can run
> apache, backuppc, vpnserver, etc. But first this problem must be solved.

It's not a 'problem to solve'.  Setting up ssh keys is a pretty well
documented and common procedure and the 'ssh-copy-id' command will do
the bulk of the work for you. You need to be able to ssh from the
backuppc user on the server to root on the target without a password
prompt.

--
  Les Mikesell AT gmail DOT com