BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-11-01 15:25:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:24:18 -0500
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM,  <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:

> This is probably not his *primary* issue since the pool is (only)
> ~3T. But when he started talking about file read errors, I was
> concerned that if the pool file reads were being truncated, then there
> likely would be pool duplicates since the byte-by-byte comparisons
> would fail for a given partial file md5sum leading to extra chain creation...

The read errors were in the RStmp files that is supposed to be the
uncompressed copy of a large compressed file so rsync can seek around
looking for a match.   I wonder if there could be a file (huge
database, mailbox,etc.) that compresses to a point that even with the
safety factor of backups not starting at 95% full, the uncompressed
copy won't fit.   Or maybe a sparse dbm type file where the original
doesn't allocate the space the length would indicate.