BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-11-01 10:12:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: "Craig O'Brien" <cobrien AT fishman DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 10:11:07 -0400
>And this would explain why the elements are not being linked properly to the pool -- though I would have thought the more likely result would be a duplicate pool entry than an unlinked pool entry...

>It might be interesting to look for pool chains with the same (uncompressed) content and with links < HardLinkMax (typically 31999) to see if pool entries are being unnecessarily duplicated.

>Try: (cd /var/lib/BackupPC/cpool; find . -type f -links -3198 -name "*_*" -exec md5sum {} \;) | sort | uniq -d -w32

> Note this will find if there are any unnecessarily duplicated pool chains (beyond the base one). Note to keep it fast and simple I am
> skipping the elements without a suffix... with the assumption being that if there are duplicated elements then there will probably be
> whole chains of them...

bash-4.1$ find . -type f -links -3198 -name "*_*" -exec md5sum {} \; | sort | uniq -d -w32
71f4cd3f08af68c2ab20c268d86fa9f3  ./c/9/0/c900361b8dc42b2094d836d43504708a_0
bash-4.1$

Looks like this did find something. What should I do with it?

Regards,
Craig

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Craig O'Brien <cobrien AT fishman DOT com> wrote:
> This error shows BackupPC_dump segfault, and pointing to libperl.so
> How do you install your BackupPC ? From source or from RPM?

I did a yum install backuppc, which got it from epel

> That tells you it was unmounted cleanly last time, not that everything checks out OK.
> Try it with the -f option to make it do the actual checks.

bash-4.1$ fsck -f /dev/sda1
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/sda1: 20074505/2929688576 files (0.3% non-contiguous), 2775975116/2929686016 blocks
bash-4.1$

What distro are you using?  (I use CentOS/RHEL)

CentosOS release 6.4

> How many backups are/were you running in parallel?

Typically 4. But when I switched everything to rsync I wanted fulls done on all the pc's so I was running up to 8 at a time.

> I think that segfault in a perl process needs to be tracked down before expecting anything else to make sense.
> Either bad RAM or mismatching perl libs could break about anything else.

I installed perl-libs with yum as well. A yum info perl-libs tells me it was installed from the updates repo

I think what I'm going to try at this point is to delete the bad backups, reinstall perl from epel, and keep an eye on it to see if it balloons up again. Thanks for all your help!

Regards,
Craig