BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-11-01 11:17:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 11:09:26 -0400
"Craig O'Brien" <cobrien AT fishman DOT com> wrote on 11/01/2013 09:48:23 AM:

> > This error shows BackupPC_dump segfault, and pointing to libperl.so

> > How do you install your BackupPC ? From source or from RPM?
>
> I did a yum install backuppc, which got it from epel

That's how I do it.

> > That tells you it was unmounted cleanly last time, not that
> everything checks out OK.

> > Try it with the -f option to make it do the actual checks.
>
> bash-4.1$ fsck -f /dev/sda1

> fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
> e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
> Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
> Pass 4: Checking reference counts
> Pass 5: Checking group summary information
> /dev/sda1: 20074505/2929688576 files (0.3% non-contiguous),
> 2775975116/2929686016 blocks

> bash-4.1$

Good.  I think we've eliminated a disk or filesystem issue.  I think we're pretty comfortable it's a BackupPC corruption issue.  It was hard to tell when your error messages said that it could not seek to a particular point in a file.

> > What distro are you using?  (I use CentOS/RHEL)
>
> CentosOS release 6.4

Same here.

> > I think that segfault in a perl process needs to be tracked
> down before expecting anything else to make sense.

> > Either bad RAM or mismatching perl libs could break about anything else.
>
> I installed perl-libs with yum as well. A yum info perl-libs tells
> me it was installed from the updates repo

> I think what I'm going to try at this point is to delete the bad
> backups, reinstall perl from epel, and keep an eye on it to see if
> it balloons up again. Thanks for all your help!

That's a very reasonable, if not very subtle, solution.

I think you need to monitor /var/log/messages for errors that mention backup.  See if the crash returns.  Jeff is (justifiably) worried that the crash caused your corruption, but it could just as easily be the other way around.  Once you clean up from this, you want to make sure that nothing comes back.

If you've got the time, running memtest for a weekend might be a good idea, too.  The only thing it would cost is the downtime...

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com