BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-11-01 12:19:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:18:17 -0400
Craig O'Brien wrote at about 10:11:07 -0400 on Friday, November 1, 2013:
 > >And this would explain why the elements are not being linked properly to
 > the pool -- though I would have thought the more likely result would be a
 > duplicate pool entry than an unlinked pool entry...
 >
 > >It might be interesting to look for pool chains with the same (uncompressed)
 > content and with links < HardLinkMax (typically 31999) to see if pool
 > entries are being unnecessarily duplicated.
 >
 > >Try: (cd /var/lib/BackupPC/cpool; find . -type f -links -3198 -name "*_*"
 > >-exec
 > md5sum {} \;) | sort | uniq -d -w32
 >
 > > Note this will find if there are any unnecessarily duplicated pool chains
 > (beyond the base one). Note to keep it fast and simple I am
 > > skipping the elements without a suffix... with the assumption being that
 > if there are duplicated elements then there will probably be
 > > whole chains of them...

I added some more bash-foo so that the following should find *any* and *all*
unnecessary pool dups...

(cd /var/lib/BackupPC/cpool; find . -name "*_0" | sed "s/_0$//" | (IFS=$'\n';
while read FILE; do find "${FILE}"* -links -3199 -exec md5sum {} \; | sort |
uniq -D -w32 ; done))

Then do an 'ls -ial' to find their size and number of links they each
have. The "-i" will also tell you the inode for later reference.