BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Repeated error on more than one client; rsync timeout

2013-10-23 17:16:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Repeated error on more than one client; rsync timeout
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:53:41 -0400
Hans Kraus <hans AT hanswkraus DOT com> wrote on 10/23/2013 11:35:47 AM:

> Hi,
>
> that's the strange thing: initial backups worked, only the following
> backups showed the timeout.

I'd get that.  With the initial backup, there are no checksums performed:  what would you checksum on the backup server?  So rsync is simply copying data non-stop, and never hits the timeout.  But the second time you do have files to checksum, and that's probably where you hit the timeout:  while one side or the other was calculating the checksum.

First time I've ever heard of an *rsync* timeout value...  Glad to know of it!  :)  I'm actually wondering now if it might be the source of some weirdness I've seen on one particular rsync setup I'm using...

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com