BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Repeated error on more than one client; rsync timeout

2013-10-22 13:36:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Repeated error on more than one client; rsync timeout
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:28:18 -0400

http://howden.net.au/thowden/2012/11/rsync-on-debian/>. Namely I did
> 'cp /usr/share/doc/rsync/examples/rsyncd.conf'.
> That example file contains the line:
>          timeout = 600
> After changing that value to 3600 it seems to work.

600 is way too small;  that's only 10 minutes, and there will be files that take more than 10 minutes to process.

Frankly, I don't believe you should have ClientTimeout set in your client files;  having that set as a global default in config.pl should be fine, and there the default is 72000 (as 20 hours, or 20 times longer than what you have set now!).

I see and understand the value of the ClientTimeout parameter, but I've found that in practice it is almost *never* triggered correctly.  The majority of times it is triggered is when a job is legitimately taking a long time.  That's why an extreme setting is not so bad.

I've found that there is one place where I *do* set it in the client config file:  archive.  Doing archives does not seem to reset the alarm setting during the process (and I've asked for help with this and gotten none).  So, I've taken to seeting my archive ClientTimeout to 720000 (as in 200 hours) so that they complete without error.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com