BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive

2013-10-17 12:57:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Writing archives to external drive
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:55:44 -0500
On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Phil Reynolds
<phil-backuppc AT tinsleyviaduct DOT com> wrote:

>> If you aren't used to backuppc, it will take much less storage than
>> you expect due to compression and pooling.  And if you are exceeding
>> the (at least) 1.5TB you can get in the 2.5" form, the performance is
>> going to matter.
>
> At the time I got these drives, 1TB was impractical in 2.5".

Times have changed.  And they are pretty cheap too - and the usb
versions don't need external power.

>> The one other thing you should do is have backuppc installed on some
>> other machine at the offsite location (I kept it on a VM on a laptop
>> that could attach to the USB) if you want to be able to recover things
>> easily.
>
> Not possible, unless I build a machine for the purpose and pay its
> running costs to the person who pays the bill there.

The main thing is to have a plan for recovery in an acceptable amount
of time - and preferably something that you can test while not under
the stress of a disaster when a mis-step might wipe your only copy of
the data.   A linux VM image that you can fire up on a machine you
already have is pretty much free if you use vmware player or
virtualbox - and either of these should be able to give the VM access
to a physical USB device.    And you don't even need to store the
image as long as you are confident that you know how to create it when
you need it.